The fall semester has dawned, new textbooks have to be bought, and a fresh pack of freshman have stormed the campus. This incoming class, like all others, have a few distinguishing features. Out of the kindness (or weirdness) of my heart, I decided I would share with you some of the fun facts about this new group of future graduates!
Most of these students were likely born in 1996! There are many things they’ve always experienced and a number of things they’ve never known!
Things they’ve always known:
- Hong Kong has always been part of China
- Bosnia and Herzegovina have always been one nation
- Cloning has always been a face, not science fiction
- Their parents have always been able to rely on ratings to judge TV violence
- There has always been “TV” exclusively available on the web
- The Unabomber has always been behind bars
- Chicago, the Broadway musical, has always been popular
- Bill Gates has always been the richest man in the U.S.
- They’ve always Loved Raymond…(or not)
- Betty Rubble has always been a Flintstones Vitamin shape
- Inter-league play in baseball has always been approved by baseball owners
- Java (the programming language) has always been available.
- OJ Simpson has always been “not guilty” of murder (maybe…)
- Ebola has always been a problem
- Go Go Power Rangers! These kiddos have always known the Power Rangers
- The Mall of America, huge as it is, has always been a shopping option
- Magic Johnson has always been HIV positive
- Wholly computer generated films have been perpetually present (The first was Toy Story in ‘95)
- Bidding on Ebay has always been an option
What they’ve never known:
- Joe Camel has never introduced them to smoking
- They’ve never tasted the “texturally enhanced alternative beverage” that was Orbitz
- They’ve never had to hide their “dirty” magazines. (web storage…)
- They’ve probably never used Netscape as their web browser
- Cheers has never been “new” for them.
- Johnny Carson has never hosted the Tonight Show
- The Soviet Union has never existed for them, except in their textbooks
- Our incoming freshman have never known a world without DVD’s
People they have never shared a part of their lifetime with:
- Jerry Garcia
- Kurt Cobain
- President Nixon
- Andre the Giant
- Tupac (2Pac) Shakur
- JonBenet Ramsey
- Carl Sagan
- Tiny Tim
Other anomalies of this new breed of college student:
- Famous parents Madonna and Sly Stallone may show up for parents weekend to visit their children.
- During their first weeks of kindergarten they were bombarded by images of planes crashing into the World Trade Center buildings.
- Wire-rimmed glasses don’t immediately bring John Lennon to mind…they think of Harry Potter or maybe hipsters.
- The phrase “press pound” means nothing to them, “hit hashtag” on the other hand, works just fine.
- Courts have always been overturning bans on same-sex marriages
- Good feedback doesn’t mean a pat on the back, it means 30 ‘likes’ on a Facebook post.
- The New Kids on the Block have only done “reunion” tours in their lifetime
When you go forth and interact with these students, perhaps this will give you some new talking points or something fun to educate them about…who doesn’t want to learn about Netscape?
Welcome to all of our incoming students! All of us at the library look forward to seeing you and hope you have a fabulous year!