The move is still on as planned! However, we are slowly compiling a more comprehensive plan of action and we’ve developed a FAQ page for students (which will be helpful to faculty and staff as well) here at Avila. If you would like to learn more about our upcoming move, please check this out!
Instead of a lengthy description of what we’re planning at the beginning of April, how about I let you know a little about what we’re planning for our “new” space? Were you even aware that the move in to Avila Hall had a purpose? The move, in fact, serves as our jumping off point to begin a massive renovation of the current library space as well as a new (re-purposed) space in a nearby building. So, without further delay, here is a little list of some of the pretty awesome stuff you’ll see in our renovated space come August!
- More light! We’re increasing the number of windows to allow in more natural light. We also hope to improve the lighting in the building so it meshes nicely with the natural light.
- Exponentially more outlets. We know that the lack of power outlets has been a problem for a while, and we’re going to address it this summer! You can plug in your laptops freely!
- A shift from the cramped and dreary to the spacious and friendly. We’re opening up the space to become a common area for collaborative and social learning experiences.
- A classroom. Finally. Oh, and it will have walls you can write on. So, that is pretty awesome too.
- A presentation room. This room will be equipped for giving and videoing presentations.
- 6, count ’em, 6 group study spaces. These will also have the write on walls.
- Fewer computer terminals! I realize this sounds awful, since many of you are clamoring for more, but hear me out. We are embracing the shift to mobile technologies and bringing in a new fleet of laptops. We will continue to have wired desktops, just a smaller section. And yes, before you ask, we’re already looking in to wireless printing options. Printing from your iPad could very well be an option in the Fall.
- More comfortable seating! We’re bringing in some new comfy furniture for all you students (and some faculty) to camp out on between classes, while doing home work, or studying for finals.
- And last but not least…if all goes as planned, we’ll finally have a vending machine! Whether it will be in the library or in the lobby is yet to be determined, but still, no more walks to O’Riley!
That is all the news I have for you all today. Stay tuned for updates! I believe we’ll be posting some pics of our earl progress in moving the Archives soon!