Do you know what today is? Do you even know how important it is? Folks, it is Squirrel Appreciation Day. This is a very serious occasion, which much be celebrated according to extremely strict traditions.
Yeah….no. But it really is Squirrel Appreciation Day so get out there and appreciate those little rodents for throwing acorns at your head all year. Squirrel Appreciation Day was created by Christy Hargrove, a wildlife rehabilitator, in 2001. In honor of this glorious day, here are the 10 most “interesting” facts about squirrels.
10) Squirrels have four front teeth that grow continuously, at a rate of about six inches a year.
9) A group of squirrels is called a “scurry” or “dray”
8) There are more than 300 different species of squirrel around the world.
7) The smallest squirrel is the “African Pygmy Squirrel”, clocking in at a whopping five inches from nose to tail. The largest is the “Indian Giant Squirrel”, which can reach lengths of three feet!
6) A squirrel’s brain is about the size of a walnut.
5) The lifespan of a squirrel can be up to 12 years…if they would just stop running in front of cars! Oh, and natural predators cause problems too.
4) Mary Baldwin College in Staunton, VA has a squirrel-y mascot: Gladys the Fighting Squirrel.
3) Squirrels can relocate their stored food because they have licked or rubbed on the spot it is hidden, thus “scenting” it for later location.
2) Squirrels communicate using a variety of shrill sounds. They also use their tail to convey certain information/emotion.
1) Squirrel’s could rule the world…for a little while at least. Twice they have stopped trading at NASDAQ when some squirrels chewed through power lines. One squirrel caused a lengthy blackout in Northern Virginia when it got in to substation equipment and caused a transformer to blow.
Rocket J. Squirrel was created in 1959 by cartoonist Jay Ward and is one of the world’s most famous squirrels. If you don’t know who he is…try looking up his friend Bullwinkle Moose.
So, a very happy Squirrel Appreciation Day to all. Go throw some extra sunflower seeds out for them and don’t give them too dirty of a look when they nail you in the head with the shells.
Want to know how I found out about squirrels…click here